Adding, Editing and Deleting Fees
You can add fees to your Fee List that your practice charges for different types of services (e.g. treatment versus reports), appointments (e.g. 60 minute appointment versus 15 minute follow-up) and funding bodies (e.g. health fund versus workers compensation funding), so that you can create invoices for patients, funding bodies and third party organisations for whom you provide services. You can add fees to your profile in three ways: through your calendar when you make an appointment, on an invoice when adding another fee, or through the Fees section of the Finance tab. HealthKit maintains a fee database from different funding bodies globally, and if the fee you want to add is listed on the HealthKit global fee database, you can import it to your own Fee List, saving you time and effort. Whenever you need to, you can also edit fee details or delete/archive fees.
- 1 Adding fees to your Fee List through your calendar or through an invoice
- 2 Adding fees through the Fees page
- 3 Setting appointment colours for fees
- 4 Editing and updating an existing fee
- 5 Deleting and archiving fees
- 6 Videos
- 6.1 Different practitioners in my practice charge different amounts for the same treatment fee/item number - how do I create custom fees for different practitioners in HealthKit?
- 6.2 How do I delete an old fee that’s been used on invoices previously?
- 6.3 How do I change a fee on my fees list?
- 6.4 How do I create packaged bookings: where do I set them up and how do I create the invoice?
Adding fees to your Fee List through your calendar or through an invoice
You can quickly add a new fee that is not on your Fee List when making an appointment - start typing a few letters of the fee name or funding body in the Fees field. You can also do the same when adding a fee to an invoice - click the Add Another fee button on the invoice, and start typing a few letters of the fee name or funding body in the Fees field.
If the fee is not in your Fee List, but is already listed in the HealthKit fee database, it is shown in grey and you can 'import' the fee to your own Fee List by selecting the fee. Key information is already listed for the fee - all you need to do is review it and add the fee amount that you charge. Click Save to add the fee to your Fee List.
If the fee is not in your Fee List and not listed in the HealthKit fee database, select that you want to add the fee to your Fee List, and complete the form that appears (see below) to add the fee to your Fee List.
Adding fees through the Fees page
You can also add a fee from your Fee List. In the Finance tab, select Fees, then click the New Fee button at the top right of the page.
Enter the fee name or funding body in the Lookup field. If a similar fee is already listed in your Fee List (e.g. if you are wanting to copy some details of an existing fee) or is listed in HealthKit's fee database, you can copy it to your Fee List. All the details are pre-populated in the form for you to review. All you need to do is make any changes required (e.g. the fee amount if you have imported the fee from the HealthKit fee list), and click Save. The fee is then saved to your Fee List.
If the fee is not in your Fee List or in HealthKit's fee database, add the fee details below:
- Funder: the name of the funding body so that your invoices and clinical reports meet the requirements of the funding body; select the funder from your existing or HealthKit's preset funding bodies if it is listed; if the funding body is not listed, add it to your Funder List
- Fee name: the name of the fee (e.g. Initial consultation in rooms)
- Item number: the number or other identification used by funding bodies or that your practice uses to identify the fee
- Duration: the length of the appointment - i.e. the time that is booked out in your calendar for the appointment
- Fee type: whether the fee is for:
- An appointment, e.g. for treatment or assessment
- An item, e.g. for products or items that you provide such as bandages and splints for which you can also manage inventory
- A pro rata fee, e.g. if you enter a pro rata fee of $100 per 60 minutes on your Fees List and then make an appointment with a duration of 90 minutes, your HealthKit automatically calculates the fee for the appointment as $150
- Category: e.g. treatment, assessment, group appointment or travel, which is helpful to record for your financial reporting
- Status: i.e. current or archived
- Fee visibility: set to public if you want this fee visible on your directory profile; set to hidden if you do not want this fee visible on your directory profile
- Custom Name: for online bookings, custom name is used; useful when the name needs to be shortened for mobile device visibility
- Notes: the full name of the fee or other information
- Price: the fee amount excluding tax - HealthKit automatically calculates the total payable for you including any tax
- Tax: the amount of tax charged in your jurisdiction for the type of fee - many jurisdictions do not tax treatment consultations but do tax non-treatment fees
- Rebate: the amount of any claim or rebate available from the relevant funding body - if the whole fee is chargeable to a funding body or third party the rebate and price should be the same
- Appointment colour: appointments with this fee are shown in the colour you select on your calendar (see below)
- Appointment text colour: the details for appointments with this fee (e.g. patient name) are shown in this colour on your calendar.
Charging different fees for different practitioners in a group or for different locations
Using the custom charges function, you are also able to change the fee amounts between your practice locations or (if you are in a group practice) between practitioners. The amount and tax that you entered for the fee is pre-selected as the fee for all locations/practitioners, which you can change next to the location/practitioner name. If the fee is not applicable for a location or practitioner, click the cross icon and confirm that you would like to remove the fee for the specific location/practitioner. Doing so does not remove the fee from your other locations.
Click the Save button to save the fee to your Fee List.
You can see this in action in this mini-video.
Package invoices and bookings for patients and organisations
With HealthKit, you can group fees together on the one invoice to sell as a package to patients or organisations - these are called package invoices or bookings. For example, you may sell a discounted package of appointments and charge the patient upfront for the future bookings, such as when a patient pays for five appointments for the price of four appointments.
To add a package bookings, click Packages on the Fees page and then click the New Package button at the top right. Add the name of the package and include a description. There are two types of packages to choose from:
- Itemised: where the total amount for the package booking is calculated based on the total of the fees you select in the Fees area
- Packaged: where you set the total amount to be paid for the package booking regardless of how much the fees you select in the Fees area add up to.
You then select the fee names (you can add a new fee) and the quantity of those fees in the package booking. Fees can be a mix of any type of fee (e.g. treatment and item) and for any funding body. After you have completed adding the fees, click the Save package button.
You create package invoices manually and then create any appointments covered by the package invoice by clicking the Edit icon on the invoice. Alternatively when you next create an appointment for the patient with one of the fees under the package invoice, HealthKit automatically allocates the fee to the package invoice fee.
Setting appointment colours for fees
All patient appointments are shaded blue on your calendar by default. However, just as you can set a different background colour for your HealthKit software, you can set appointment colours for different types of appointments based on the fee. For example, you may want all initial appointments to be shared green and ongoing appointments shaded yellow, or you may want all appointments for funding body X to be shaded purple whereas all appointments for funding body Y to be shaded brown.
You can select a fee colour when you add a fee on your calendar or on your Fee List in one of two ways:
- From one of the 16 colour swatches below the Colour field; or
- By clicking in the Colour field and selecting the colour from the colour picker.
You can also select the colour for the words (e.g. patient name) on an appointment, so that if your appointment is coloured yellow, the text is black, whereas if your appointment is coloured dark blue, the text is white.
When you click Save, appointments with this fee are shaded the selected colour on your calendar.
Editing and updating an existing fee
You can edit and update a fee by selecting the fee on the Fee List and making the changes required to the fee. You can change the following aspects of a fee:
- Funding body and item number;
- Fee name;
- Fee type (i.e. appointment or item) and category (e.g. treatment, assessment, equipment, etc);
- Fee status (i.e. current or archived);
- Duration and colour which changes the length and colour of appointments with this fee on the calendar;
- Price / amount that you charge for the service;
- Rebate and tax, which for imported fees are set automatically for you.
After you have made the changes to the fee, set what you want to happen to past and future invoices with this fee - there are 4 options:
- Update all future invoices
- Update only past invoices
- Update all invoices
- Do not update any invoices
The number of invoices affected by the change is shown next to the option. Click Submit to update the fee and update any relevant invoices.
Deleting and archiving fees
To delete a fee from your Fee List, click the fee on your Fee List then click the Delete button at the top right of your screen, and confirm that you want to delete the fees. You are able to delete the fee if the fee has not been used on any invoices. If the fee has been used on an invoice, you have two options:
- Remove the fee from all of the invoices on which it has been used (which would be quite time consuming); or
- Edit the fee's status from Current to Archived and clicking the Save button. This is recommended because the fee is not shown when you select an appointment fee. Archiving a fee has the same effect as deleting a fee, without you needing to edit any invoices.
Different practitioners in my practice charge different amounts for the same treatment fee/item number - how do I create custom fees for different practitioners in HealthKit?
When you add or edit the fee, click the Add Custom Fee, and add the different amounts that different practitioners charge for the same fee item number.
How do I delete an old fee that’s been used on invoices previously?
Under the Finances tab, select the Fees page. Open up the fee and change the status to Archived. The fee will no longer appear on your Fee List.
How do I change a fee on my fees list?
Under the Finances tab, select the Fees page. Open up the fee and make any changes you require. The updated fee will appear on your Fee List.
How do I create packaged bookings: where do I set them up and how do I create the invoice?