Adding and verifying patient and claimant Medicare details
If your patient would like to claim available Medicare rebates online (or if you would like to claim for bulk billed appointments), you only need to enter the patient’s details once to enable online Medicare rebates claiming. You can add claimants where required and verify both patient and claimant Medicare details instantaneously to ensure rebates are paid as soon as possible.
Watch the video to see adding patient and claimant details in action.
- 1 Three ways to enter patients' Medicare claiming details
- 2 Adding and editing patient Medicare claiming details
- 3 Verifying patient Medicare claiming details: OPV and OVV
- 4 Adding claimant details when required
- 5 Removing claimant details
- 6 Videos
Three ways to enter patients' Medicare claiming details
If your patient would like to claim available Medicare rebates online (or if you would like to claim for bulk billed appointments), you only need to enter the patient’s details once to enable online Medicare rebates claiming.
For your convenience, you can add a patient's Medicare details to their profile in three ways:
- The patient’s profile: go to the Funding page on the patient's profile, and under Claim & Referrals, Medicare is listed if an appointment covered by Medicare has been made with the patient. If Medicare is not listed, you can add Medicare as one of the patient's funding body by clicking the New Claim button. Click Update Claim Details button.
- When making an appointment: click the appointment on your calendar to access the appointment details, and the Medicare Claim section is shown is the fee is a Medicare fee; click the edit (pencil) icon next to it to add or edit the patient's Medicare details; and
- On an invoice: go to the invoice, and the Medicare Claim section is shown if the fee is a Medicare fee; click the edit (pencil) icon next to it to add or edit the patient's Medicare details.
The patient's Medicare claiming details is added to their profile regardless of which method you use to add their details.
Adding and editing patient Medicare claiming details
After you have clicked the Update Claim Details button (from the patient's profile) or the edit icon next the claim details section on an appointment or an invoice, add the following information on the form that appears:
- Medicare card number
- Individual reference number (IRN)
- Expiry date (which is optional)
Click submit to save the information to the patient's profile.
To edit or update patient Medicare claiming details, go to the Funding page of the patient's profile. Under the Claim & Referrals section, click either the patient's name or click the edit (pencil) icon. Make the changes necessary and click the Submit button.
Verifying patient Medicare claiming details: OPV and OVV
Practitioners can verify patient (or claimant) Medicare claiming details using HealthKit's integrated Medicare Online Patient Verification (OPV) process, which is called Online Veteran Verification (OVV) for DVA purposes. Go to the Funding page on the patient's profile, where the patient's Medicare number is shown under Claim & Referrals section. If you have not yet verified the details, a circle with a line is shown next to the Medicare number (this does not mean that the Medicare details are incorrect, it only means that you have not verified them yet). Click the icon to instantaneously verify the details with Medicare. The icon changes to a tick icon if the details are correct; if the details are incorrect, Medicare provides you with a flash message saying why the details are not correct so you can obtain the correct Medicare details from the patient.
You can see how to do this in this mini-video.
Adding claimant details when required
The patient and the person who claims the rebates (the claimant) are often the same person, but not always - for example, when a patient is a child a parent might claim and receive the rebate, or when one partner in a couple is responsible for all financial and/or health costs, that person would claim the rebate regardless of who sought treatment. Wherever someone is claiming a patient Medicare rebate on behalf of someone else, you can enter a that person as a claimant, so that they claim and receive the rebate from Medicare in the same way that patients can directly do so.
Claiming as a claimant is available for patient Medicare rebates but not available for bulk bill claims or DVA claims, as these rebates are usually paid directly to the practitioner. The only limitation that Medicare imposes on who can be a claimant is that the claimant cannot be under the age of 18.
To add a claimant, enter the patient's details in one of the three ways listed above and click the Add Claimant button. Enter the claimant's name in the Claimant field. If the claimant is already listed on your Patients List, their name appears and you can select them as claimant; their Medicare details are automatically populated in the fields below. Click the Submit button to save them as claimant. If the claimant is not already listed on your Patients List:
- Enter the claimant’s name and when prompted, the claimant's date of birth;
- Add Medicare card number (not all patients have the same number as the claimant);
- Add their Individual Reference Number (IRN); and
- Enter the expiry date.
- Click the Submit button to save them as claimant; for your convenience, the claimant is also saved in your Patients List as a Claimant.
The claimants' details are recorded on all Medicare-covered invoices and appointments for the patient, as well as on the patient's profile.
Adding a second claimant
You can add a second claimant by clicking the New Claim button, and entering the patient's Medicare details, then the second claimant's Medicare details. You can choose between claimants when you process a Medicare claim for the patient. See more in this video.
Removing claimant details
To remove claimant details (for example when a child patient begins to pay for treatment themselves), go to the Funding page on the patient's profile. The claimant is listed in the Claims and Referrals section under the patient's name. Click the delete (cross) icon next to the claimant's name (see above), then confirm whether you want to:
- Archive the claimant: which keeps a record that the claimant had been used as a claimant on this patient's claim but removes the claimant from the patient's future claims; or
- Delete the claimant from the patient's claim: which removes the record that the claimant was used on this patient's claim (which makes deleting the claimant the appropriate option if you added the claimant by mistake) as well as removes the claimant from the patient's future claims. The claimant remains listed on your Patient List.
How do I verify a patient's Medicare or DVA card details (i.e. online patient and veteran verification)?
Go to the patient's Funding page, and click the Patient Verification icon to the left of the patient's Medicare or DVA number; Medicare confirms whether the number is correct within approximately 5 seconds.
My patient is a child. How do I add a claimant to Medicare rebate?
On the patient's Funding page, click the Edit icon next to the patient's Medicare card details and add the claimant's Medicare details - the claimant now receives the Medicare rebates.
How do I add a second claimant for a Medicare rebate?
On the patient's Funding page, click the New claim button, enter Medicare as the Funder and enter the patient's Medicare details. Click the Add claimant button and enter the claimant's Medicare details. You can now go to the patient's claim details and select which claimant will receive the claim. Read more information in the manual here.