Stock and Inventory
With HealthKit, you can manage your stock and inventory for clinical items (e.g. bandages, syringes etc) and non-clinical items (e.g. paperclips). Stock and inventory can be linked to your expenses and it can also be sold to patients with stock sold to patients automatically tracked for you. You can access your stock and inventory management on the Products page within your Fees area under the Finances tab.
Adding stock items
You can add stock and inventory in three ways:
- On your Products list;
- When you are adding a new fee on the Fees list for an item (this is for stock that is sold to patients);
- When you are adding a new fee for an item on an invoice.
On your products list
To add a stock item on your Products List, click the Add Product button at the top right of the screen, and then add the following details:
- Name: Add the product's name - if it is an item that you sell to patients, add the item in words that are clear to patients;
- Code: add a code for the product;
- Category: type the category of the product (e.g. clinical aids for massage balls or stationery for paperclips);
- Supplier: type the name of the supplier of the product - if the supplier is listed in your Organisations list, the product purchase is tracked on the organisation's profile in your Organisations list (you can also add the supplier as a new organisation);
- Status: select current unless the product is not used in your practice anymore;
- Date: add the date that you purchased the product;
- Opening stock/balance: enter the number of products that you bought or have in stock when you enter the product;
- Cost: enter how much you paid for the product and select the relevant tax option; and
- Add expense: tick the Add expense box if you want the product purchase to be added to your expenses automatically.
Click the Save button to add the product to your Products list, and the unit cost per product item is calculated automatically.
On your fees list and on an invoice
You can add a new product to your stock and inventory (which appears on your Products List) when you are adding a new fee for an item (i.e. for a non-appointment) on your Fee List or through an invoice. When you select item as the fee type, HealthKit automatically prompts you to add the item in the Products field. If the fee is already on your Products list, the fee and the product are linked. If the item is not already on your Products list, you are prompted to add it as a new product, and you c an add the name, code, cost (and tax) and opening stock. When you click the Submit button, the item is added as a product on your Products List and you can add the full details for the product on the Products List.
Selling stock items
If you have added a fee for a stock item to your Fees List, you use the stock item fee on an invoice to charge a patient for a stock item. You can charge a patient for a stock item in two ways:
- By creating a manual invoice specifically for the stock item; or
- By adding the stock item fee to an existing invoice.
Your stock balance is reduced by the quantity of stock items sold to the patient - for example, if you have a balance of 50 spiky massage balls and add a fee for three spiky massage balls to a patient's invoice, your stock balance is automatically reduced to 47 spiky massage balls.
Reconciling stock items
You can track the stock balance for a specific stock item in the Balance column of the Products list. When you click the stock item, you can see:
- Linked fees;
- Purchase/expense history; and
- Stock item sales history.
You can also manually adjust these figures by clicking the Add Product Transaction button, and manually adding:
- A purchase, which increases stock balance;
- A sale, which decreases stock balance;
- A write-off (e.g. for damaged stock), which decreases stock balance; and
- A stock adjustment, which decreases stock balance.
Searching, sorting and filtering your products list
Products in your Products list are automatically listed from the first product added to the latest product added. Click the column headings to sort products in a different order (e.g. from earliest to latest, etc). You can also filter your Products list to show only particular records - for example, products with a unit cost between particular amounts . Click in the column heading for a filter to appear, enabling you to filter records to appear only between particular characteristics, such as amounts. Use the Search function at the top left to search for anything including product name or cost per item. Your search criteria appear in blue. The list of products is then limited to show only invoices that meet your criteria. This is how you create a list of all invoices with a particular patient or for a particular date.
Scrolling through pages and changing the view
You can scroll through all the pages of your products listed by clicking through the page numbers at the bottom right of the Products List. Click first to go to the first page of records, and last to go to the last page of records. You can also change how this page appears in a number of ways and HealthKit dynamically remembers your view preferences based on the computer you are using. Click Choose Columns to add or remove columns shown. Click the Results per Page picker to select the maximum number of products you would like to see per page. Move columns by clicking on the column and dragging it to where you want the column to be.
Printing and exporting your Products List
Print your Products List by clicking the print icon at the top right of the screen. This creates a printer-friendly PDF file of the Products List; click Ctrl-P to print the list on your printer.
You can export your Products List to Excel by clicking the Export icon at the top right of the screen, which exports the Products List to a CSV file, which you can view and save in Excel.