HealthKit integrates directly with Xero so invoices and expenses you create in HealthKit are automatically replicated in Xero, saving you time and effort, and also making it easier for your accountants and other advisers to provide you with accounting and bookkeeping services.
Syncing and connecting your HealthKit with your Xero account
You can connect your HealthKit with your Xero account on the Payments page, under the Accounting section. Click the Add New button to begin the syncing process. There are three key steps to sync your HealthKit and Xero accounts:
- For group practices, all invoices, expenses and payments can sync into the one Xero account;
- For group practices, select Clinic to sync invoices, expenses and payments to different Xero accounts or to have different preferences based on your clinic locations;
- For sole practitioners, select Individual and All to sync invoices, expenses and payments for different locations to the one Xero account; and
- For sole practitioners, select Individual and Selected clinics to sync invoices, expenses and payments to different locations into one Xero account.
- Authorise the connection: After you have selected your preferred setup, you are taken to a Xero login page. Log in to your Xero account, select the organisation and click the Authorise button to authorise the connection between your Xero and HealthKit accounts. After the connection is approved (usually within 5 to 10 seconds), the page refreshes and you are taken back to your HealthKit Payments page.
- Customise your revenue and expense preferences: After the connection is enabled, you can tailor where invoices, expenses and payments are synced in Xero. You also have the option of further specifying your preferences by fee category (for revenue and expenses) and payment method (for invoice and expense payments). Click the Edit icon at the right of the Xero line in the Accounting section of the Payments page in order to:
- Choose the date from which you want your HealthKit and Xero accounts synced;
- Select which revenue and expenses charts of accounts you want to use;
- Select which invoice payments and expense payments charts of accounts you want to use;
- Select if you want to anonymise patient names in Xero - in which case the patient name is replaced with the patient's unique HealthKit ID (which can be seen in the URL when you are viewing the patient's profile);
- Select if you want to sync only invoices with a payment (i.e. invoices for which an auto payment has been processed, or invoices that have been marked as partially or fully paid); and
- Select if you want to exclude payments syncing for invoices and/or expenses.
How syncing works
After your HealthKit and Xero accounts are synced, the connection is continuous and permanent, so invoices, expenses and payments you create in HealthKit automatically appear in your Xero account. In other words, you do not need to re-sync your accounts whenever you create an invoice because invoices created in HealthKit automatically appear in your Xero account.
All types of invoices created in HealthKit are synced to your Xero account, including invoices to patients, organisations, third parties and funding bodies (who are automatically added to your list of contacts in Xero if they are not already listed as contacts), with the HealthKit invoice number synced across to your Xero account.
You can view your HealthKit invoices in your Xero list of Invoices when you are logged into your Xero account (the invoice number shown in HealthKit is synced across to your Xero account). If you are not logged into your Xero account, you can view a particular HealthKit invoice in your Xero account by:
- Clicking the Xero button at the top right of the invoice to see the Xero sync history; and
- In the Xero sync history (which shows invoices and payments made in HealthKit and whether they have been successfully synced with Xero), clicking the blue link to the Xero invoice.
You are then taken to the invoice in Xero without the need to log in to your Xero account. The fee name, fee amount and tax rate are automatically shown as are the due date, amount owing and amount paid. Deposits made in HealthKit are counted as prepayments; if a patient's deposit is assigned in HealthKit to a particular invoice, the prepayment is drawn down in Xero.
When the invoice is paid in HealthKit (either because you have marked the invoice as paid or because the payment was processed electronically), the invoice is automatically marked as paid in Xero and the payment shown in the correct chart of accounts.
All expenses created in HealthKit are synced to your Xero account automatically, which you can see in your Xero list of Expenses when you are logged into your Xero account. If you are not logged into your Xero account, you can view a particular HealthKit expense in your Xero account by clicking the Xero button at the top right of the expense and, in the Xero sync history, clicking the link to the expense in Xero.
Things to note
Below are a number of things to note regarding your synced HealthKit and Xero accounts:
- One way syncing: The syncing between your HealthKit and Xero accounts is one-way. Invoices, expenses and payments created in HealthKit automatically appear in your Xero account but invoices, expenses and payments created in your Xero account do not automatically appear in your HealthKit account. Therefore if you mark an invoice as paid in Xero, the invoice payment status contradicts the invoice payment status in HealthKit. The payment status in Xero is not synced across to HealthKit so you need to update the invoice status in HealthKit.
- Payment methods: whereas payment methods are tracked in HealthKit, they are not tracked in Xero so payment methods recorded in HealthKit are not synced to Xero.
- Auto payments: HealthKit invoices that have been paid through auto payments are fully synced with your Xero account when the funds have been disbursed to you, usually two business days after the payment is processed, which you can see on your Auto Payments reports. HealthKit automatically syncs a negative invoice line when the auto payment is synced with Xero, so that your invoice balances. For example, if you process a $100 auto payment and the transaction fee is $3, HealthKit syncs the $100 invoice line and the $97 payment to you, and it also syncs a -$3 invoice line so that your invoice balances.
- Rebates processed (in Australia): invoices with bulk bill and DVA rebates paid to you are fully synced with your Xero account when the rebates have been paid to you, which you can confirm on your Medicare reports.
- Deleting invoices: Although you can delete invoices in most circumstances in HealthKit, you cannot delete invoices in Xero, so if you delete an invoice in HealthKit the invoice is not automatically deleted in Xero. Therefore, you need to manually void the invoice in Xero.
- Unpaid invoices: Unpaid invoices appear in your Xero account with a status of "Draft". To avoid this happening, ensure you select that you want to sync only invoices with a payment at the top of the Xero & HealthKit Connection page.
Unsyncing your HealthKit from your Xero account
You can unsync your HealthKit and your Xero account at any time by clicking the Cancel icon at the right of the Xero line in the Accounting section of the Payments page. Confirm that you want to revoke the connection and click the Save button to sever the link between your HealthKit and your Xero account. You can reconnect your HealthKit and Xero accounts at any time.
Unsyncing your HealthKit and Xero accounts does not unsync any of the data that has already been synced.
Changing which accounts are synced
You can produce a report to see all invoices, expenses and deposits with their syncing status. You can create this report by selecting the Reports page under the Finances tab.